The Google Clan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WiFi

2 posters

Go down

WiFi Empty WiFi

Post by Boyo Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:11 am

Mkay, one of my pals at work got a wrt54g a couple years ago and ofc barely used it as he would always use ethernet over wifi for the speed and quality. So I came over today and tried to set it up right and ultimately failed. Can someone tell me what steps I have to take to set up the network?

What I did: changed the name of the network from linksys to something like Private WiFi. Used WEP Personal and made a kickass password. Changed the domain, router, and host name to things with my pals name in it and something random like pina coladas or router. Enabled loggs and upgraded the firmware

I left the dns address's alopne hopping the isp (comcast) would automically do something and I do see the ip address for his house but was too beat to ping anyone. He still didn't get any internet when using it.
Boyo
Boyo

Number of posts : 501
Birthday : 1989-01-29
Registration date : 2009-01-28

http://Benjaminwelch.com

Back to top Go down

WiFi Empty Re: WiFi

Post by jOn3z3y Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:24 am

Comcast will auto assign a DNS addresses. I have one of those routers as well, they still sell them on sale occasionally at the 3gg for about $60. Normal pricing's still above $75,not bad for a router I bought 3 years ago. But I don't use wireless anymore and haven't in a long time. I'm sure you ran the installation utility.

Try connecting to it from a different computer. What os is he running?
jOn3z3y
jOn3z3y

Number of posts : 2272
Birthday : 1973-10-31
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyo Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Windows 7 64 bit

It still works when he connects the modem directly to his computer rather than to the router and I've tried my iPod but that didn;t work
Boyo
Boyo

Number of posts : 501
Birthday : 1989-01-29
Registration date : 2009-01-28

http://Benjaminwelch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jOn3z3y Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:38 pm

Sounds like the transmitter or receiver is dead. That suxz. Btw....tell him to never lose the wall wart power cord. Idk about now....but a puppy chewed mine into non existence. $52 for a replacement. :/
jOn3z3y
jOn3z3y

Number of posts : 2272
Birthday : 1973-10-31
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum